Monday, April 20, 2015



What I find most fascinating about Buddy Holly is how different he was from all the music stars we are used to.  He appears much shyer then the average rocker, he didn’t appear as often or with as much excitement surrounding him as Elvis or the Beetles. The reading even states he was never filmed outside of a few TV performances. We usually think of famous musicians as flamboyant and not the least bit shy as they bear themselves to the world. The reading describes an artist who communicated to the public entirely through his music. To me, a quiet and shy aspiring artist, it is a nice image to have. That in this world of stars being as ridiculous as possible to get seen in the public eye that maybe someone shy like me can get noticed. Buddy lived in a time before the internet but maybe the internet makes us shy and awkward artists more present and allows us better outlets to get out there.

My first introduction to Buddy Holly was through Weezer’s 1994 song appropriately titled “Buddy Holly” back in elementary school. The song was cheerful and upbeat so 8 year old me loved it. This didn’t really give me any information on the subject but we all have to start learning about things somewhere. I actually learned about the tragedy after hearing the song “The Day the Music Died” a couple years later. My dad grew up in the 70’s and 80’s and that was one of his favorite songs. My sister, who was always more willing to ask what things were or meant, asked what the song was about on a particularly long car ride. The song “Buddy Holly” lost some of its joy for me after that. Some of the lyrics had a more ominous tone and never felt quite the same. Now my youngest sister loves the song and barely knows who Buddy Holly is and the cycle continues.

1 comment:

  1. "Now my youngest sister loves the song and barely knows who Buddy Holly is and the cycle continues."

    Indeed. clever video, I remember it...entry okay, if not inspired...

    ReplyDelete