Monday, January 26, 2015

I love rock n' roll and film. Probably obvious by the nature of the class but I feel it had to be said. I'm taking this class because film (as well as my dad) got me into rock. One of my earliest memories of rock n' roll came at around 8 or 9. My father was showing me all sorts of films that he loved, Back to the Future, Stand By Me, Predator, Christine, etc. All the ones listed have one thing in common: the use of good old fifties rock n' roll. My father had the greatest hits collections of both Chuck Barry and Little Richard and I listened non stop. Going through my iTunes playlist, many of those songs still have a place.
Because of all this I was not surprised to discover my dad indeed owns the complete Hail Hail Rock N' Roll DVD set. Watching the film felt like home to me. The film gave a complete look at Chuck Barry as a performer and what that may me to him and all those performers around him. The beginnings of rock are fascinating when we look at it in the context of the world then. Much has changed in the world but rock has remained constant. Barry had a lot to do with why rock has survived to stay a popular music form almost 70 years on.

2 comments:

  1. Readings?? Nothing else to say about the documentary??

    Very cool about your Dad - I love how this is quite common in our class...Rock on, Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Readings?? Nothing else to say about the documentary??

    Very cool about your Dad - I love how this is quite common in our class...Rock on, Dad!

    ReplyDelete